Saturday, November 6, 2010

Wild West 5k

Today was the first annual ACA PTO 5K benefiting the running club. We had to go to support Cameron. He has joined the running club and is doing really well and having such a great time. We usually do one 5k every year for Ovarian Cancer. It is in September and we all go as family. We didn't get to go this year due to football for Cole - so I wanted to make sure we all were able to do this walk for our school.
Let me say that November is considerably cooler than September! Collin was all bundles up and didn't really fight having to be in the stroller!

Here is a picture of Macie and some of her Girl Scout friends. There were a TON of families that walked/ran. It seemed to be pretty successful.
This is Cameron's running buddy for the day. They were to choose a buddy to run with for encouragement and to keep the pace.
Here is the 'official' start of the race. Since I wasn't interested in running I stood in front of the starting line and took pictures! Cameron and his buddy. Can you see the smile on his face? He was already having so much fun!!!
Our family had pretty good representation out there. Cameron, Macie, Cole, Collin, Nana, Aunt Kelly, Ian and me. It was quite a group. Cameron was the only one who ran. I was the absolute literal LAST person in the whole thing. We were just walking and I was really slow. I didn't think it would be that bad, however - 35 weeks with no exercise causes for a slow walker! I made it to the one mile mark and decided I was just rest there for a moment and then turn around. I wasn't there for more than 10 minutes and guess who ran by ... Cameron!
Not only am I a slow walker - Cameron is a pretty fast runner! His buddy gave up and started walking a while back (he later told me). At this point Cameron only had one more mile to go!
I can't remember his official time (I will ask him later) but it was either 25 minutes or 35 minutes! Either way - really good for a ten year old. I was extremely proud.
Here are some pictures of the rest of us non-runners! Cole
Nana and Ian (they also turned around) Ian's asthma started to bother him pretty early on. We had a fun warm-up period before the walk started and I think he got a little too excited!
Kelly, Macie and Collin. When they realized we were turning back - they decided to jog some. They made up a lot of ground and weren't the last ones in to the finish line. They made good time when they got rid of me! In fact, they caught up with me and that is how I got their picture!
Proof that I was there! I was wearing a purple bow in my hair to match my sweatsuit - turns out it doesn't look as cute as I thought!
We had a great time and can't wait for next year. The only thing that wasn't fun about the day was not being able to stay for the carnival afterward. The kids have enjoyed the carnival every year. We had to leave right after the walk to head to Cole's final football game of the season. Everyone showed up there, as well. It turned out to be just as fun as the walk.
A

No comments: