Friday, October 3, 2008

This is what FRIENDSHIP looks like

Cameron and Carlos
Carlos is Cameron's friend from his old elementary school. He talked about him all last year and we (the parents) exchanged information so they could see each other over the summer. Well - we were unable to ever get in touch. (I later found out that they went to visit their grandparents for 8 weeks during the summer.) back to topic - Cameron was told to invite a friend to the Bike Rodeo and he was lamenting over the fact that he had no one to call. We thought that Carlos was out of the picture because we never got together over the summer. Although I didn't want to let him (for fear of rejection = no return call) I let him call Carlos. He ended up leaving a message on the machine. Well - that night Carlos' dad called and let me know about their summer and said that Carlos could come. He also let me know that Carlos made him play Cameron's message over and over (that is so sweet). anyway - he got to come and the boys had so much fun. I have never seen my sweet Cameron SO HAPPY. He has never really had a close friendship like this before - and he has been missing and talking about Carlos all this year. The only time he ever says he misses his old school is because Carlos is there. I am so overjoyed to know that Carlos says the same thing about Cameron. Tonight his parents told me Cameron is the first boy they have let him go somewhere with and the only reason they allowed that is because of how happy Carlos was to hear from Cameron. Cameron is going to go play at his house on Sunday after church. They were disappointed that they didn't get to spend the night with each other and are sad that they have to wait (and I quote) TWO WHOLE DAYS before they get to see each other again. I am so thankful for this friendship for my son and I know that this is going to be the beginning of a lasting friendship. And it is a true, deep, connected friendship. I know this because of these sweet words that were spoken as we finally pulled out of the driveway to head home ...

Mom - Carlos is the best friend I have ever had. I love him.

I know you do, baby, me too.

3 comments:

Lesa said...

That is so sweet!

Debra said...

Oh Amy, that just brings tears to my eyes. Isn't God so good to provide a friend (maybe like David and Jonathan) for Cameron. That just rocks!

Love you, Debra

Amy said...

Debra - I have cried tears of pure joy for that very reason. I keep thinking I am silly to feel that way - but it is true - they will be like David and Jonathan!!