Thursday, August 4, 2011

a WEIGHTy issue.

Ok – so it’s no secret that having five kids makes you pack on some pounds.   I have been trying to get on track with my eating and exercise for years (it seems).  I think I finally have found something that I am going to stick with.  (I know this because I started on July 9 and am still going strong)

Every September my family participates in a 5k walk/fun run to help raise money in support of Ovarian Cancer Research in honor of my mom’s best friend, Gayle.  this year I told my husband we should run.  Then we laughed nervously.  Then we found the program Couch to 5K.  FAB!  I downloaded it to my phone and have been out on the road (sidewalk) at least three times a week since then following the program.  It is hard!  Especially if you have not been at all interested in any type of physical activity or exercise in years.  I have currently completed three weeks and am hanging out on the week four workout until I am completely able to do it with no issues before moving on.  (The program has graduated levels of running/walking and I haven’t quite mastered week 4.  I’m in the middle of my third week of week four.)

I have also downloaded a calorie counting app and am trying to eat better as well.  I have noticed a change in my body shape and I have lost 6 pounds since starting.  I have found that getting out to walk or run isn’t hard to do anymore – but the eating healthy all day every day is difficult for me.  I do great when Todd is home with me and we are doing it together – but when I am alone with the kids – I want to eat macaroni and McDonald's and ice cream!  My mission is to be just as dedicated with good food as I am with exercising.

For the most part we run in the mornings before the kids wake up.  Sometimes, though, I may have had a long night with the baby and don’t quite get up at 6 ready to go.  So – when he goes down for his morning nap – I run.  I let the big kids play in the front yard (with the video monitor on the baby) and I run up and down the street – back and forth – where I can have my eye on them constantly.  It is not my favorite thing to do – but sometimes it is necessary.  Plus – they love it.  They used to ask WHY when we said we were going to run.  Now – they ask to go with us sometimes and they are very encouraging and supportive.  this also makes it easier.

IMG_9322    IMG_9323    IMG_9324

They helped water the yard and played in the sprinkler today while I ran.

I have decided that I may not actually be able to complete the 5k in September, but I am healthier and weigh a  little less and that’s an even better goal.  I have a goal I want to reach weight wise by NOV 1.  Wish me LUCK!

A

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Good for you! I can only imagine having 5 kids.. I have extra weight with one! But I'm trying, too. We can do it!

Debra said...

You go girl! Inspired me! Getting ready to start swimming myself! Love you!