A
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Birth Story
Monday morning we were to arrive at the hospital at 5 AM. Our doctor had given us a choice of 5 or 7 - I chose 5. Todd wished I had chosen 7 instead. I figured - the earlier we got started - the better! So - we were all in our room and ready to go at 515!!
Because we were so early we didn't have anyone to take our picture so we have our famous self portrait. Bright and shiny and happy.
Todd was the official photographer of the day. He took a picture of the computer screen that was monitoring my contractions. They had started the pitocin drip at 550. By 7 o'clock I was already having pretty good (strong) contractions that were three to four minutes apart. The nurse said we responded well to the pitocin. She said they were allowed to go as high as 42 (not exactly sure what that means) and that they didn't have to go any higher than 10 for me. My body was ready to have that baby!
Collin arrived (as well as all the grandparents) around 10 or so. They stayed and visited for about an hour and then went to wait in the waiting room for a bit. I was having a little bit harder time by this point and the nurse needed to check things out.
I had been sitting indian style most of the morning (which is what I usually have done in the past to help baby drop quicker) and the nurse suggested moving me to my side for 15 minutes, and then my other side for 15 minutes. I had been about the same dilation for a while. She hoped this would speed things up. That was at 1115.
Thirty fast minutes later this cutie was born. I remember saying I felt some pressure but that it couldn't be the baby because I wasn't ready. It had been to fast. Lo and behold - it really was the baby and he was perfect. He hardly cried at all. They put him right to my chest for a minute before cleaning him up, Todd was able to cut the cord and then they brought him to me to try nursing and he latched right on. He has had no problems eating and is just doing great. It was an interesting morning and we were so thankful it went well and that our parents were all there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment