Monday, November 15, 2010

Death Mask

Cole has been working on a project for school for the last week. He completed all of his research and wrote a paper - now he had to make a 3 dimensional prop to go along with his topic. The unit is Egypt, his topic - The Afterlife. He read two books from the library and used one Internet source. He has picked his favorite 4 facts and is ready for his presentation tomorrow.

He chose to make a death mask (his own words) for his prop. Todd and I went to Hobby Lobby and got a mask to use as a base and he did the rest. (They also have to take pictures documenting their work and make a picture folder labeling the steps to make the prop)
He traced the mask on paper and cut the paper to size. He also cut strips of black paper to make stripes in the head dress.
He glued them on a gold sheet of paper and turned out great. Then he took a black marker to draw the eye make-up on the mask. He also added some red on the lips and some jewelry (because the ancient Egyptians loved their jewelry and make-up)
Here is the finished product. He is so happy with it. We think he did a great job. He can't wait to get it back from the teacher. He has already made plans to wear it on Christmas Eve in hopes of scaring Santa. I'm not sure why - but he really thinks that is a great idea!
I, personally, think it really looks creepy. I hope I don't wake up in the middle of the night one night with that thing looking at me!
A

No comments: