Friday, September 17, 2010

SONshine School

Sonshine school started the day after Labor Day and I totally missed first day of school pics. (boo) My poor, neglected fourth child has only two pictures that a co-teacher took for me (and gave to me, but I can't scan them in due to desktop/scanner issues) So - when I finally had a camera with battery life in it - this is what I got. He has fallen asleep during rest time every day and hasn't been able to have snack yet - not once. He sleeps completely through dismissal and I wake him up around ten after three to go get the kids from school. And - he truly was asleep with his feet in the air!
Our class is really fun this year. We have ten kids and still have three teachers. It works out great this way. We are able to do centers with the kids and there won't be any upset when I need to be off for a few weeks after the baby comes. Our group is very energetic and makes class interesting. Here is our sensory center. On this day they were learning about touch. Julie had items hidden in paper sacks for them to touch and then pulled the items out so they could see and touch.
Here is the art center. Again - the topic was touch so Jenny had different textures in the paint (rice, salt, glitter,plain) and they used their fingers to paint. It was messy - but lots of fun!
We now have an art gallery in the room. When they finish a project - after it dries we will put it on the wall for a bit to display for mommies and daddies. It makes it fun for the kids also - and they will learn name recognition as well.
A close-up. I am excited because We used my cricut a lot for most of the decorations for the room. It looks awesome.
One of my other favorite things (that I don't have a picture of - yet) is our puppies. Julie had a great idea of a home and a dog-house (for the puppy class) that we have on our wall. On the house will be a puppy with each child's name on it. When they come to class for the day, they move their puppy from 'home' to 'class'. That way they recognize their name AND we know who is absent for the day because their puppy will stay at home! Neat, huh?
We have a few other things that they may not realize is teaching them as well. All of them have a 'color' that they are associated with. Their puppy on their hook outside has a particular color on its collar which matches their puppy that they move on the wall that also matches their lunch place mat. Subtle - but cute!
We are having a great year. I am so thankful to be a part of this school and that all of our children have come up through the program and are better for it!
A

No comments: