Friday, February 20, 2009

Mom of the Year!!!

Yep, That's me!

This has been one of the hardest weeks of poor little Collin's life. He was finally able to get the surgery he needed to remove unusually large adenoids that make him snore like a 90 year old man. And - hopefully this will correct his little sleep apnea problem and he can begin to sleep through the night. So - tuesday came and we went to MCA and started the process - he did great - he was having such a good time.
There he is sitting in Todd's lap waiting to have all his vitals taken. (side note: he is wearing the same pajamas that Cole wore when he had his tubes out at the same age - I'm weird like that)
He waited so patiently in the bed watching Elmo while we waited for the nurses to take us to pre-op for the 'happy medicine' as they call it.
Here he was after the surgery, after the worst wake up coming out of anesthesia known to man, after he tried to rip off all the bracelets, pull the tube out of his mouth and remove the IV, after screaming and flopping around (because he couldn't get control just yet) for an HOUR AND FIFTEEN MINUTES, after he finally settled down and ate a popsicle. Sweet baby. Then we went home and started the ritual of trying to make him as happy and comfortable as we could all say long. Once we made it through tuesday it was smooth sailing - that's where my Mom of the Year award comes in - I'll explain ...
We told the kids they needed to be SUPER careful with Collin as their may be some residual bleeding from his nose or mouth if jolted or bumped in any way - so we were ALL being careful with him. Wednesday morning (afternoon really) I decided I might as well get up and get ready for the day, you know, make myself presentable - I was going to curl my hair. Well - while I was drying my hair the little stinker comes in the bathroom behind me to see what I am doing and he GRABS the cord to my curling iron (the actual curling iron is out of reach) and pulls it toward him fast as lightening and then grabs the barrel with his other hand - thankfully I caught it before he wrapped all his little fingers around it - HOWEVER - for the first hour and a half after that - he was very angry and hurt and sad. Here is the evidence ...
Later that evening we were just taking it easy, Todd had gone to work, it was getting close to bedtime so the kids like to watch a little 30 minute show on noggin as their 'bedtime movie'. Well - my big kids can't seem to stop hugging on and 'helping' Collin do whatever it is he needs. One of my sweet babies (who shall remain nameless) thought it would be a good idea to let him stand in their lap while rocking in the rocking chair and Collin flipped out of it and landed on his head resulting in a nice black and blue mark in the middle of his head! (the picture really doesn't do it justice). Wednesday just wasn't a good day for Collin.
Thursday was a better day and he went with me to take the kids to school and such and was so excited to get out of the house. Friday was also shaping up to be awesome - we picked the kids up and went to chick-fil-a for lunch, came home and played, played, played and ate a good dinner! So - two of my sweet big kids and Collin were laying in my bed watching their bedtime movie while my other sweet big kid was finishing up homework and I was able to finally sit down and eat a bit of dinner myself. Then I hear it - the 'I'm really hurt cry'. I wait a minute to see if it is going to stop - it doesn't. Then my child with the bright ideas (who again shall remain nameless) came in and said the following, "I'm going to go ahead and tell you the truth. One of us may have fallen on Collin's arm and hurt him." Great. So - I go and get him to take a look at his arm and I get an eerie feeling - I've seen this before - He is NOT using his right arm!! I watched for a bit longer and it was true - he was pointing at it and crying so I knew what we had to do. I called Todd and told him that we were on our way to urgent care in hurst because Collin's tendon got out of whack again. The professional name - nursemaid's elbow. So - off we went to the SAME urgent care I went to a year prior with the SAME injury on the SAME child. Oh - and he has a burn and a HUGE knot on his head. I'm going to jail or getting turned in to CPS FOR SURE!!! Anyway - we got there and the triage nurse checked us in and questioned that I already knew nursemaid's elbow and then she YELLOW tagged him because he is 'prone to falls' and then gave me some papers to read on preventing falls. They called us back and the Dr came in and asked for the 'story behind the injury' and I let him know the details and he popped his arm back into place and we were good to go!!
So - we are thankful that Collin is ok, thankful that I didn't get to go to jail and thankful that our kids just really love each other (almost) to death!!
There you have - my nomination for Mom of the YEAR!!
A

5 comments:

Debra said...

Oh my word I am so laughing ... precious Collin and precious Mommy for photographing it all and keeping your cool! It'll be great story to tell your grandkids. :)

Kim said...

I don't know how you do it!!!

Jennifer said...

And this is why we have kids...to keep our lives busy and interesting! :o) Never a dull moment!

Sonja said...

Oh, girl, what a week! Hopefully everything and everyone is improving?

Lesa said...

You win.....the trophy is on it's way to you! I love the 'I'm just gonna tell you the truth.....' part. Gotta love them!