Saturday, May 8, 2010

Field Day!!!

Yesterday was big day for our older kids - Field Day. The school uses the UTA Football Stadium as the backdrop for a ton of great athletic activities. All the grades participate and even do a class or grade cheer to earn the Spirit Stick. I was unable to attend last year because Field Day was on a thursday - but Todd was there. They also let the parents on the field last year and Todd was able to get great pictures of the kids up close during their events. This year they decided parents who weren't helping and siblings were not able to go on the filed - just sit in the stands. Bummer. But, we had a good time (I have the sunburn to prove it) with other friends and it was a good day.

Here are Cameron, Macie, Cole, Quincy and Kelsey's biggest fans!
Here is Macie doing the 80 yard dash. I think she was pretty tired at this point in the day it was close to the end of her rotations. They group the kids by sixes and they compete against those kids all day. Each group of six places first through sixth. That way there are a bunch of winners and they place well in different events. Hula Hoop is the only grade sport where only six kids total place. She pretty much got every place ribbon you can get. Her best was broad jump - she placed first.
Cameron in his favorite competition - hula hoops. They were pretty far out on the field and this is the best picture I was able to get. Our friend, Chad, had a good camera with a zoom lens - I'm hoping he got some good ones of all the kids. Anyway - THIS is Cameron's event - his bread and butter. He loves it and is so good. The entire grade participates and they sit when their hoop falls. When it gets toward the end where they are trying to weed out the good ones they make them do tricks - jumping in place while hooping, going down to their knees and back up again. Then when it is down to the final six - they fight. This is where he shines. He can make his hula hoop go so fast and at an angle I've never seen. He knocked out two people on his way to the last girl and they went after each other for a while. His finally dropped first and he got second - but it was awesome to watch. Everyone in the stands around us were watching him in amazement.
Here is Cole at the broad jump. I think he had the best day because he was just plain excited to be there. When I told him that Cameron and Macie didn't get to have Field Day when they were in Kindergarten (at a different school) he was pretty pumped. I don't think he did as well as he wanted, but he had fun and didn't get mad at anyone. Good Sport.
Then there is this funny video I took. I couldn't help it. There is a sixth grader who obviously has a lot of charisma. He was entertaining the crowd at the beginning of the day (as well as all the little sixth grade girls). We watched him from the stands for quite a while and then I thought to video him. This is the tail end of his performance. (We watched throughout the day as he collected his ribbons in the various events - they were all first place. I hope he uses his talents for good in the future and not for making people laugh and causing trouble, you know?)

And that wraps up our fun Field Day 2010!!

A

1 comment:

Poppins (AKA Traci) said...

Looks like the kids had fun. And, oh, my! That little boy has some talent. TOo bad you didn't get the whole song, that thing could go viral on youtube!